[nos-bbs] Ubuntu 7.10 some more info about the issues I have

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:58:26 EDT 2008

This isn't NOS specific, but I think the discussions have been on this
list about this.

The issue is basically that the packet data seems to shift around as
far as TX Delay and TX Tail.  It isn't consistent in the 'window' so
to speak.

OS here is Ubuntu 7.10 x86

I've run the Ubuntu packaged ax25 stuff, compiled my own, Ubuntu JNOS2
and one I compiled on my own as well.

This issue occurs with xNOS or with linux ax25.

This has occurred running either a TNC in KISS mode or a soundmodem (userspace)

I've run TX delay out to 500 at times and as short as 60 and TX tail
out to 100 and as short as 0

What happens is, sometimes I can hear the keying tone for a long
while, then the packet goes and then hear the long tail.  This is what
I would expect with the long settings.

Other times, I get a TX delay that feels more like 50ms, the packet
just squeaks through and cuts right off, works very fast.  This is how
my same interfaces behave in Windows with AGWPE or via the TNC
directly (command mode) in windows.

Other times, nothing at all is TXed, just an empty carrier keyup

Other times, the packet starts too late and ends too late.

It shifts around...obviously causing a  mess of retries or very slow traffic.

This all shifts around in the same session of operation.

It may be an Ubuntu 7.10 issue with ax25 handling, it may be a kernel
setting I haven't stumbled upon yet it could be that I'm the ultimate
packet LID...but it's been driving me crazy.

I have a TNC I run in KISS mode and two different soundcard
interfaces, one traditional with a serial interface for keying and one
(Tigertronics) that does its own keying.  The two soundcard interfaces
behave themselves perfectly running psk and other HF digi modes in
both linux and Windows.  In Windows all of them behave properly with
'normal' recommended settings.

I only have the issue on my Ubuntu box and unfortunately, I don't have
a different version of linux to compare with right now....though I
think I may fix that soon just to work on this some more.

What else have I done... in soundmodem I've used the tuning
diagnostics and checked the signal levels and they also look good and
clean, not overdriven on the RX and I monitor my TX packets with the
very local BBS I test on and they sound nice and clean and at a
comparable level to the other local traffic.