[nos-bbs] Jnos wont communicate

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Jun 27 20:04:26 EDT 2008

Greetings,

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Mark Bone wrote:

> I am new to jnos and linux, but I am having a bear of a time trying to get jnos to
> work properly.
>
> Using the instructions and the exact same version of linux as found here
>
> http://www.legitimate.org/iook/packet/jnos/linux-jnos-setup-11.htm
>
> I can ping from linux to other computers in the network and also outside the
> network, but once I start jnos using the command ./jnos -d /jnos, I cannot ping
> anything in or outside the network when I am pinging from the jnos software.
> Basically I am wanting to be able to connect to jnos and then telnet to other
> systems or use the converse mode. I have an ampr.net address also.

   Linux has its own routing table, and JNOS (using its own IP stack) has
its own routing table.  So there are *TWO* routing tables to deal with.
They communicate with one another through the TUN interface.

   Sounds like your JNOS application does not know how to pass packets
from the JNOS side of the TUNnel, through the Linux route table and then
out to the Internet.  And there *MUST* be a return path!!!  So packets
coming back need to be routed from the Linux box, up the TUNnel interface,
to the JNOS application.

   "THINK LIKE A PACKET' -- in BOTH directions.  Always keeping in mind
what your SOURCE address would be outbound, and whether a return route
exists to that address.

   Doing this you will uncover what is wrong and be able to correct it.

> ip address 192.168.2.2

> attach tun tun0 1500 0
> ifconfig tun0 ipaddress 192.168.2.2
> ifconfig tun0 netmask 255.255.255.0
> ifconfig tun0 mtu 1500

> shell ifconfig tun0 192.168.1.130 pointtopoint 192.168.2.2 mtu 1500 up

> shell arp -s 192.168.2.2 00:b0:d0:77:2f:7d pub

> source /jnos/routes.lcl
> route add default tun0 192.168.1.1

   Does your gateway router to the Internet know how to handle NAT to the
192.168.2/24 subnet???

   Does your gateway router know that the Linux box is the gateway router
to reach 192.168.2.2  ???

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL

said:    "Would you like fries with that emergency communication?"
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |