[nos-bbs] IRTT etc

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Jul 1 14:23:56 EDT 2008

Incredible Brian.

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 07:14 -0400, Brian wrote:

> As a proof of concept I have an IP path (all RF) from Massachusetts to
> Queens, NY. It's 8 hops away:
> Route: N1URO-3 N1URO-1 N1URO-6 K1YON-2 K2PUT WB2CIK KC2COJ N2NSA-1
> n1uro at n1uro.ampr.org:/uronode$ p ipqns
> ICMP Echo request sent to: 44.68.32.2
> ICMP Echo reply received from: 44.68.32.2
> Ping completed in: 4214ms (ttl=63)
This seem outstanding.  Do you capture SRTT & MDEV - or like values for
the internals of TCP time-to-wait formulation for comparison to ping?
Another effect I've seen is that if one radio hop is 2sec, then two hops
is often significantly less than 4sec, and I've been stumped over how to
predict many hops.

> 4.2ms over 8 hops is by any means nothing to sneeze at, and this path is
> flooded with FBB pbbs mail forwarding and Spider link feeds. If you've
> ever sniffed traffic on a dxcluster link, it's extremely chatty! I'm not
> at all complaining about this what so ever.
Don't complain -- crow...

I hope you will permit K8RRA to visit N1URO from time to time as I sort
out all you have said here.  Thanks so much for the heads up and
comparison.

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k