[nos-bbs] New to packet, running linux, looking for some advice

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Jan 22 20:56:55 EST 2008

Specific answers Chris...

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 19:16 -0500, Chris wrote:
> O.k. a couple more specific questions re: your autoexec.nos file.
>
> Is this for JNOS2 or does it really matter between them much?
Each variant of NOS [ie: j, T, ...] has forked a bit differently, so
while much autoexec stuff is generic, the file is not truly
transportable site-to-site. As in the next question...

> In this sequence
>
> attach asy ttyS0 - pkiss hf 1024 256 9600
> attach kiss hf 1 6m
> attach kiss hf 2 2m
> attach kiss hf 3 220
For the above to work, you better find a 4-port TNC and connect the
RS-232 wire to the /dev/ttyS0 port
AND the "0" interface to your HF radio tuned to a packet freq.
AND the "1" interface to your 6m radio tuned to a packet freq.
AND the "2" interface...
Now this is a challenge since the KAM 9612 is the only 2-port TNC I'm
familiar with [it works nicely for 1-1200B and 1-9600B path] but your
4-port example might need to be invented [say with some special
hardware].

After all the above is done, you now have four independently functioning
packet paths available to route traffic over on four amateur bands
probably at more than one baud rate... BUT all known to others by your
MYCALL.  There is more, but does that get you started?

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k