Fwd: [nos-bbs] New to packet, running linux, looking for some advice

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 22:04:28 EST 2008

O.k. WOW, this is the most active life regarding packet that I've seen
yet...fantastic.

Thanks all for the information all, I'll hit the books again.

Indeed I may have had resource conflicts, with fbb in particular it
felt very much like that and with JNOS up 'on top of' the kernel ax25
that I had running, I had issues where the TNC felt like it was
behaving oddly, so this would very likely answer that.

It sounded like I was tripping over my own packets and the 'listen'
packet monitor session was lagging behind the traffic I could plainly
hear.  As I think I mentioned, I did play around with the designated
ax25 'ports' so maybe that's why it was working as I think I had jnos
up at the time as a -4 port with 0 and 2 being other services.

So it sounds like JNOS is the very likely candidate.  It did make
pretty good logical sense to me, I just couldn't get the mail working.

As for the packet forwarding...I was a firewall engineer for a long
while and I'm certainly not new to using linux as an internet gateway
firewall...why oh why it didn't occur to me to enable forwarding for
the tun interface...I just don't know.  But THANKS for that, very
embarrassing oversight on my part.  I bet that is why jnos mail wasn't
working too.

I'll start from scratch and chase that wiki around for a bit with a
clear head.  Taking a couple nights off after that last marathon to
get fresh eyes.

If I get this up and dedicated, I'll let people know for sure.  The
only major hub of activity I can hit directly is the KC2COJ machine on
.050 over in Queens.  They seem to be fairly heavily routed there.
Other than a couple dedicated Paclinks, there's not much else locally
that I've found so far.

I haven't been chasing points of information this hard since I first
installed linux some 13 years ago, so even though this is frustrating,
it's still a lot of fun for me.

Thanks again