[nos-bbs] Ubuntu 7.X and JNOS 2.0 - maybe not ...

Bob Tenty bobtenty at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 23 22:15:31 EST 2008

>> That problem with nntp is at another 7.10 system and with nntp switched off it runs fine too.

> The real question is: should you *have* to do that?

Jnos crashes (Segmentation fault) at that system if  the polling timer expires so I switched off
polling to prevent that.
Remote stations can still poll jnos there without problem

Now the good news is that I tested the same binary here this afternoon with the same nntp
settings at my own 7,10 system and the polling didn't crash jnos.

Same glibc/libc version

 Will be continued..

>Have you read through the xfbb list? Many many issues with Ubuntu 7.10
>there as well. 7.01 seems to be the better version so far from what I've
>seen... but in reality, why operate a clone (ubuntu) when you can run
> the real thing (debian) :)

I have read those about Fbb with a processor load of 98 % at 7.10 if you mean those..

That points to a memory leak or something like that.

I noticed that they are still using the same 2 year old binaries in that package, so not compiled
at  a 7.10 sytem but at an older release (I guess 6.10 as the binaries are exactly the same
as for that release)

The packager maintainer shouldn't do that for an official 7.10 package I think.

>> the real thing (debian) :)

Don't be afraid, I run also the orignal at a couple of computers :=)

Bob, VE3TOK

> That problem with nntp is at another 7.10 system and with nntp switched off it runs fine too.

The real question is: should you *have* to do that?

Have you read through the xfbb list? Many many issues with Ubuntu 7.10
there as well. 7.01 seems to be the better version so far from what I've
seen... but in reality, why operate a clone (ubuntu) when you can run
the real thing (debian) :)

There was a mention in here about URONode... and while I'm posting, I
have .deb and .rpms available of it along with axMail-Fax at
ftp://ftp.uroweb.net/pub/ax25

Current versions are:
URONode    - 1.0.4
axMail-Fax - 1.0.3