[nos-bbs] EMCOMM challenges - was B2F (compression) success !!!

Bob Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Thu Apr 3 13:49:13 EDT 2008

Hi Brian, and all,

That'd be nice, if we could find 'em.  This isn't a flame - it's an example
of the challenge some EMCOMM efforts face.

We've got 9 EOC's that we have to have enough people to staff on a 24/7
basis, and of people that come close to meeting your requirements, we have
about 7-8 people of the 60 credentialed volunteers currently available who
would meet that criteria.  We have 2 that are equipped to install JNOS from
scratch, and that installation would be an iterative process.  That's in a
reasonably population-dense area, and pretty near one of the worldwide hubs
for computer technology - as much or as little credit as I want to give
Microsoft.

Most of our volunteers are people who have either been attracted to ham
radio as a result of their CERT training, or ones that we've solicited to
act as emergency communicators, by way of articles in the community
newspapers.  So they don't necessarily come from a technical background.
Many of them are retired, which from an availability standpointis a good
thing - our organization was able to supply volunteer communicators to other
emergency response organizations when flooding was happening in their
service areas, because like most of our volunteers, most of theirs were at
work.  Like most employed people, I probably won't be responding to an
emergency unless it's either of a regional scale, or happens outside work
hours.  That's where I work in situation where my general manager is a ham,
and a member of his local EMCOMM group.

73, Bob, KD7NM