[nos-bbs] Generic malloc failure -- why?

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Sun Sep 9 06:44:17 EDT 2007

Hi Skip,

> No space!!

Then JNOS shutdowns down right ?

> Thus far I can't tie the message to any particular event.

JNOS is asking for memory from linux, and linux says no.

Where you running any TRACE sessions at the time ?

> Does this mean that other software is playing dirty?

Hard to say. Could be a rogue daemon using up all the
system memory. Could be a DOS (denial of service) attach
on your machine. Corrupt or fragmented memory could do
it as well.

Google for 'malloc fail why' and you'll find various
reasons for why the malloc() function call might fail.

Maiko