[nos-bbs] the Linux ps display and jnos children

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 12 13:46:06 EDT 2007

I have stumbled into another curiosity.
It may be seen from the Linux Process Table.

My jnos looks normal -- its tree is:
      login - bash - bash - jnos2.
But jnos has five children that look not "healthy":
      date - date - ifconfig - route - route.
Each of these has VmSize zero and VmRss only 12 bytes.

In the case of the two processes named "date", gdb tells me:
    "Detaching after fork from child process."

I can use some guidance from the old hands at this point.
I'm tempted to document (in the wiki under routine admin tasks) the
existence of these child processes and prescribe some action for the
anal retentive sysop.

Perhaps the existence of these children point to some incomplete task
but then today I don't know what that would be...

Any suggestions?

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k