[nos-bbs] Device alias IP addresses

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Wed May 23 13:00:32 EDT 2007

Hi Mitch,

> I can tell you all that I have exhausted my printed manuals, and have
> carefully searched the Fedora documentation set for the answer ...

According to an FAQ I found :

    IP Alias is standard in kernels 2.0.x and 2.2.x, and available as
    a compile-time option in 2.4.x (IP Alias has been deprecated in 2.4.x
    and replaced by a more powerful firewalling mechanism.)

That essentially says you won't find it in more recent linux distros,
not by that name anways. IP Aliasing has been *replaced* with :

    iproute2 and iptables

Some worthy information that I managed to find on the topic is below :

1) You can learn some about it at lartc.org or other such sites.

2) I don't know what he means by "more powerful _firewalling_ mechanism"
    but iproute2 package which replaces whole family of ifconfig/arp/route
    commands, gives you a neat and more straight forward way of dealing
    with the IP aliasing.

Regards,

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM