[nos-bbs] Device alias IP addresses

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue May 22 21:07:02 EDT 2007

Greetings to all,

Last meeting in Midland we heard of setting IP alias addresses to extend
the reach of the 44... network into our LANS.  It works well for Jay, it
bombs for me.

This is a request for reading material.  If you know of system manual
references or *especially* of RFC numbers *only* specific to the alias
topic that I can study, it would be a great help.

This is as specific as I can be at the moment:  both the "...#
ifconfig ..." and the GUI approach to setting the alias seem to produce
the desired result.  The routing table seems correct for the purpose.
When "...$ telnet ..." creates a packet the "Source IP Address"
generated is wrong.  SO > it seems the problem is focused on using the
configuration prepared rather than in generating the needed
configuration.

I can tell you all that I have exhausted my printed manuals, and have
carefully searched the Fedora documentation set for the answer without
joy.

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k