[nos-bbs] Re: Areas

Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB) skoric at ptt.yu
Fri Mar 30 01:58:07 EDT 2007

Andy Nemec wrote:

> We broke our areas down to a few basic public ones based on where they
> were intended to be delivered. We had one that was called "ww", another
> called "allusa", one for "allwis" (for All Wisconsin, the state we live
> in), one for "local", yet another for "nts", one for "sysop" and of course
> the users' private mail areas.
>
> We set up our rewrite file to filter and divert mail delivery to these
> areas based upon their intended distribution.

Andy, from your example I can imagine that, say, 'dx' or 'dxnews' groups
should end up within 'ww' area because dx news are interesting for the
rest of the world :-)  But if somebody happens to post a new '29.5GHz'
type of bulletins, who is supposed to set up your rewrite file to divert
mail delivery to the specific destination.

> In my observation, typical
> users just want the BBS to dump out a list of messages that they can read,
> and then pick the ones that they want. They don't want to keep changing
> areas or categories. That becomes more of a hassle than it's worth.

That's the way I prefer.

Misko