[nos-bbs] Comm ports

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Sun Mar 18 17:00:54 EDT 2007

It does indeed work with any com port that you can address. The problem
is that of IRQ interrupts.

Commonly on a WinBlows/DOS machine coms 3 & 4 share the same interrupts
as coms 1 & 2. this would mean that first come would be first served in
the JNOS world. In other words if you load up com1 and then com3 com1
will work fine but com3 will not be able to talk.

The way around this is to move the interrupts for coms 3&4 to ones not
in use by the system. Coms 5 & 7 are good choices assuming you don't
want to use a sound card or the printer port.

Perhaps the best choice would have been to look out for a Chase
multiport serial card with IRQ management. This device allows the
supplied 8 serial ports (all with different base addresses) to use the
same interrupt (usually IRQ10). It handles the IRQ competition via its
firmware.

Another alternative would be to use Multidrop KISS (BPQKISS) from a
single serial port (assuming all Z80 based TNC's). Each TNC lives on a
serial network and is polled by the host. One can have up to 16 tnc's
connected to a single host. This is how it works here at KC2ENI.

Hope this sheds some light on things.

Mark