[nos-bbs] DNS requirements

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 14 11:55:32 EDT 2007

OK Barry - a very good entree into what I'm preparing.
At this point I ask your help - just a little!

I'd like your permission to excerpt some of the text you prepared in
response for inclusion into the jnos wiki.
Before answering, please visit http://k8rra.no-ip.org/jnosd to see what
I'm up to.
Yours and more content belongs in the HostConfiguration section - it is
missing much at this time.
You will find the file description end of the material is somewhat
developed by following (clicking) the links:
SoftwareInstall - Host FILE Structure ... - HostFileSystemGlobal -
DomainTxtFile

Of course up to this time it is all only *my* opinion...:-(

And my request really goes to other mail as well - back many months.
I won't include the bulk of our mail at this moment, (that level of
detail is not warranted at this moment).
However we have "spoken" before on other configuration matters...

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 14:28 -0400, Barry Siegfried wrote:

> ["(Skip) K8RRA" <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote]:
>
> > On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 13:18 -0400, Steven Stimpson wrote:

for example:
This exchange is relevant because it is useful to understand both
operation failure and software theory.

> > Example 1 - and all was good before upgrading the platform revision.
> > My domain.txt was hand built for only my immediate ham neighborhood -
> > and that is what failed.
>
> Skip... when JNOS does a domain resolve operation it first looks
> at the location and filename of "Dfile".  This is usually "/domain.txt"
> unless it has been changed in FILES.CFG.  If it cannot resolve the
> name from Dfile it will start using the domain nameservers which are
> specified by the 'domain addserver' command.>>SNIP<<

I pray this gives you a flavor of what I'd like to do?

Oh yes - I appreciate the public nature of this reflector and solicit
general opinion from others as well.
Please understand my uplink is DSL and about 256k (slow by todays
standards).
If this becomes a community work, I'll find a reasonable server
bandwidth when needed.

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k