[Nos-bbs] DGIPIP Jnos 2

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Wed Feb 28 20:25:09 EST 2007

["Jerry DeLong" <kd4yal at tampabay.rr.com> wrote]:

> Could some please help me with the correct syntax for connecting
> to a DGIPIP server using Jnos 2.0e?

I think you are asking for the correct syntax to *broadcast* (rather
than "connect") to a DGipip server.   I doubt that the commands are
any different in JNOS 2.0e than they are in any other xNOS that
supports DGipip.

> Usage:
>
> remote -s syskey | -g gwkey | [-p port] [-k key] [-a kickaddr] [-r
> addr/#bits] <hostname> exit|reset|kick|add|drop|udpadd

I presume you are looking for only the essential arguments above
specifically to implement the DGipip client?  If so, try this:

       <hostid> add,udpadd,drop

where:

<port> = the UDP port that the DGipip server listens on (if not
         specified defaults to 1234)
<dgipip key> = the password that the DGipip server used the "-g"
               switch to set (if no DGipip password is set by the
               server this argument is not required)
<dest ip addr>/bits = the IP block being requested by the DGipip
                      client
<hostid> = the IP address (or hostname) of the DGipip server

add = DGipip client request for server to add the specified IPIP route
udpadd = DGipip client request for server to add the specified IPUDP
         route (hardwired to use UDP destination port 94)
drop = DGipip client request for server to drop the specified route
       (used in an onexit.nos or equivalent Linux file to cleanly
       delete the route at the DGipip server when the client is
       shut down)

Please note that to the best of my knowledge, Linux is not {yet}
capable of IPUDP encapsulation so if you need to use IPUDP support
then Linux will not work.

The timer that is initialized for an IP route that is acquired at
a DGipip server by a client is normally set to 15 minutes.  Normal
practice is for the DGipip client to send a request within one minute
of booting up and then once every 10 minutes thereafter to keep
refreshing the timer.  Once the timer expires or a 'drop' request
is received by the DGipip server from the client, the IP route is
made to be "unreachable" at the server.

The DGipip server must therefore be initialized so that the IP route
being requested by the client is "unreachable", otherwise, if the
IP route is permanently pointed elsewhere at the server the request
by the client is viewed as an attempt to steal the route and it is
ignored by the server.

In an xNOS DGipip server, an IP route can be made to be unreachable
by pointing it to the 'loopback' interface.  Since I am not familiar
with Linux, I couldn't tell you how this is accomplished in a Linux
DGipip server but I am quite confident there is a relatively easy
way to do it.

I hope the above helps.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried