[nos-bbs] Local Emergency communications but able to do e-mail if necessary

KV9U mrfarm at mwt.net
Wed Feb 14 21:11:35 EST 2007

Hi Maiko,

I have been giving the questions you ask some considerable thought. And
while I may not have perfect answers, I will try.

Our local group is looking for a low cost mode(s) that will allow us to
easily connect digital stations to transmit messages, store messages if
the operator is not present (simple BBS), and route through the internet
if you need to. Ideally, this would be an adhoc system, with some
stations set up to operate from typical hams homes and others for
portable or even mobile.

I know this is backwards from the Winlink 2000 view that most digital
traffic should go through the internet unless you need to bridge a
broken part of the internet. We just don't have that much digital
traffic. In fact, I queried the folks who have worked with IC for many
years (one of our hams is a retired policechief/firechief and has had a
lot of practical experience and teaches the FEMA course work) and the
indication is that most messages are fairly short and are relatively
easy to send over voice channels if you need to.

Airmail has the ability, if you have the right equipment, to act as a
peer to peer VHF as well as a VHF and HF connection to the internet. But
to do much of that you do need the SCS modem. Based upon the
documentation you know it is oriented toward the SCS product. It is also
only able to operate on MS OS. That is not a serious deficiency since
most hams, particularly the less technical types are going to be running
MS for now. (No offense to those running MS OS as I do too for the most
part). But I think an open source and cross platform approach would be
better for amateur radio.

I don't think that being able to connect to an e-mail server is all that
important for us. It may be important for those who are trying to act as
an emergency utility to route large amounts of traffic for a government
agency. We are not involved in doing that kind of activity but I know
some are and Winlink 2000 promotes this kind of connectivity. Their
leader has told me personally that this is one of the big selling points
if you set up a local server connection and high speed radio links
between governmental units that will operate when the internet fails. Of
course this is only between local radio connected locations.

I don't see much growth with Pactor modes, but if you did want to go
with Pactor 1 you would need to buy a used modem since the new ones are
so expensive now, relative to the SCS modem. Then you might as well go
with the SCS product and have the P2 and P3 modes too. The price of the
SCS modem is not something that enough hams will buy unless they had a
more functional need on a day to day basis. Only RV/blue water boaters
need that kind of device, or are at least willing to spend that kind of
money since they are basically avoiding paying of commercial networks.

Our Section (State) discontinued Pactor and the State Pactor BBS system
and now use it for the SHARES program. They also shut down the packet
BBS system a while back. Their preference is to route all digital
traffic through the internet from Telpac sites. In fact, they are now
running "nets" with the Winlink 2000 system feeding e-mail to a
centralized site in a large city. I am not sure how well that works, but
the person running the net has no practical experience with this kind of
thing and has never operated HF.

I strongly believe that we need to have more ARQ sound card modes. We
have a few, but most are weaker signal and slower with very narrow
bandwidths. That is good for much of the time but we need to have other
modes which can go much faster.

One possibility is to use the DRM OFDM modes which are a crude form of
belated ARQ. The advantage is that this exits now and can be used as an
HF program.  But a SCAMP type of program would be better with the clear
advantage of pipelined ARQ,  and then you would have the ultimate in
busy channel detection. Otherwise, PSKmail could be used if we get other
hams to switch to Linux. I expect to see these modes improve over the
coming years.

For VHF, packet is fine and actually for local contacts we could use
1200 baud packet on the upper part of 10 meters higher bands.

One possible direction that intrigues me at bit would be to move toward
an all HF approach for digital and VHF for tactical voice. This makes it
simpler for short or long distances on HF. Antennas are a slight
problem, but we won't be using that much digital unless there is an
extended disaster to deal with over a wide area. This is very unlikely
in our part of the country but it could happen. Now on southern coastal
parts of the U.S., it is actually going to be common and their needs are
quite different.

For a final comment:

As a past NTS operator handling traffic, on CW and SSB, and sometimes
even as NCS, I know that the motivation for many hams putting in as much
time as they do, with very little to show for it, is the camaraderie
that occurs when you have a group that gets together periodically. This
is not as easy to do with BBS systems or digital networks where you
don't tend to have the human contact. If you have local hams who get
together for activities, meetings, and throw in some food and fun, it
can go a long ways to keeping an organization active:)

73,

Rick, KV9U