[nos-bbs] Local Emergency communications but able to do e-mail if necessary

Jaye Inabnit, ke6sls ke6sls at suddenlink.net
Tue Feb 13 20:49:09 EST 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 10:59, Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) wrote:
> That's the reality in my area. So, you can see why one starts loosing
> enthusiam in using digital communications for ARES. On a positive note,
> I still keep trying from time to time.

no and no--this is _not_ the rule of ec.  we have used packet to move critical
data--which is now an issue since media can readily decode this info.
however, we have lately been using SSTV (great to show which bridges fell
during earthquakes, what part of forest is burning etc.) and now have PSK31
for very effective k2k comms with a simple means of sending a file (which
doesn't require FEC). . .  PSK is actually coming in very handy for the
portable operators with far less than ideal station antennas.

i've seen many ec apps come and go and Mailo is dead-on here, politics always
challenge the apps to death.

there is always hope out there.  I wouldn't be too surprised to someday learn
of an FoSS app capable of satisfying a great number of ec workers needs--but
it's a big job either way.

regards

jaye, ke6sls