[nos-bbs] New official version - JNOS 2.0f - frozen !

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Fri Dec 28 06:45:18 EST 2007

Hi Jaye et al,

We are very power conscious here at G7LTT so I looked for a solution
that was able to be run from 12v if needed as well as be small in size.

I work with SBC's and embedded systems quite a bit so the WRAP board I
used was a simple choice.

The board runs at 266MHz, has a single serial port, is truly headless
with no keyboard or monitor inputs and has a 100Mb network port.

The OS is called Voyage Linux and is built for SBC/embedded apps such as
WAP's or NTP servers.

I'm running BPQKISS on a stack of 5 Z80 based TNC's which connect to the
single serial port and are polled by the system.

Other boards I've looked at and even had working are the Soekris NET45xx
series (486DX100), DecTOP (333MHz $100 web appliance), various NeoWare
thin clients/diskless workstations (all for less than $30!)

The thing that most folks miss when going green is that it's not just
about reducing your energy consumption but your overall consumption. Why
use a large device which sits idle for most of the time when a smaller
one will suffice?

We (the local packet groups here in NNJ/NYC) had plans to create small
packet systems that we could deploy when needed for events such as the
NYC Marathon or other significant "events". My system is the proving
ground for the project.

Mark

--

Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O