[nos-bbs] AXIP networking

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Fri Dec 14 16:35:28 EST 2007

["Bill Vodall WA7NWP" <wa7nwp at gmail.com> wrote]:

> > It looks like it is.
>
> Thanks for the update Barry...

My pleasure.  There are a number of "dhcp" assignments in that
block as well.

> > > If so I guess we can use that for some 44 net tunnels..
> >
> > The machine listed as the gateway for 44.24/16 is operated by wetnet,
> > however, we cannot confirm that it is actually supporting IPIP.  Emails
> > to N7IPB have gone unanswered regarding this.  We are presuming that
> > the 44-net hostid of the gateway itself is 44.24.110.35.
>
> I was probably the last pseudo 44.24.110.35 entry and I was the actual
> behind the scenes gateway when there was some activity left.  The
> wetnet box has been "distracted" and the ampr.org routing has been
> gone since we lost the 3 key cell sites a couple years go.

I was actually aware of that.  After it became evident that it was
impossible to get an email reply from N7IPB back during that time
period, the machine was forcibly removed from the gateways file.  But
only just this past October, N7IPB deliberately resubmitted the entry
for the same machine.  And he is still ignoring email.

> I think K7EK or N7NEI might still have some active 44.24.x/24 entries
> but it's been a long time since I saw an IP packet on the air.
>
> I'd rather invest my limited time in making packets on the air rather
> then dancing with the 44 net bureaucracy.

I don't blame you, however, precisely to which bureaucracy are you
referring?  While amprnet activity has vastly decreased over the
past several years, right now the gateways file is in very good
shape.  A good 90% of them which are listed are actually functioning
as real IPIP gateways and they are hosting at least one 44-net IP
address.

> I am using 44.24.126 numbers on the air as recognition that it is
> a valuable project so if anybody wants to do some low level 44/24
> net tunnels I'm open to setting that up again.
>
> Hopefully we can get things working with the simply no-ip.info scheme
> and do cool "packet" via the Internet with a minimum of configuration..
> At least that's my goal.

>From what you seem to be requesting, it sounds as if what you really
want to do is set up AXIP links using the DNS resolution capabilities
of JNOS to adapt to dynamically assigned IP addresses.  Of course, you
would then not need to utilize 44-net to accomplish that.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |