[nos-bbs] AXIP networking

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Wed Dec 12 16:23:04 EST 2007

I'm glad Maiko posted this again:

["Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm)" <maiko at pcs.mb.ca> wrote]:

> Who says you have to use a callsign-SSID for digipeating ?
>
> We used *aliases* like MBGATE (manitoba gateway) or WORM1 or whatever.
>
> If you have a beacon every so often on the same RF frequency that
> identifies the wormhole alias is that not good enough ?  We did that
> for years back in the 90's.

I have what is most probably an extremely foolish question.

On AXIP/AXUDP links it obviously makes no difference, but, does
anyone actually know whether it legal to use AX.25 aliases in the
hardware address fields of our frames on amateur packet radio?

Inquiring minds want to know.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |