[nos-bbs] AXIP networking

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Dec 9 00:16:53 EST 2007

OK Gene, I've now incorporated your material from this note and Maikos
mail info on domain name into wiki.  THANKS so much for your reply, but
I still don't qualify as expert for document work on this subject...

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 17:21 -0500, Gene Mayler - K8EE wrote:
> Skip,
>>SNIP<<
>  Here is what I have set up for Bill.
>
> attach axip wa1 256 44.###.###.###  wa7nwp
For example: this statement has an optional call.  Optional?  If no call
is provided, then where does the protocol get a call to listen for
locally, and the requirement for different calls seems harder to
administer?
> netrom interface wa1 115 100
> ifconfig wa1 ax25 maxframe 7
> ifconfig wa1 desc "WA7NWP, Richmond, WA, USA"
> ifconfig wa1 ipaddress 44.70.225.2
> ifconfig wa1 linkaddress k8ee
There are a couple things about this command.  If this is effective at
your station, then you have a very basic no-SSID spec in your example,
and the requirement for unique call at each interface is problematic?
If on the other hand, this specifies the call you want to be known by at
the other end of the tunnel then this is a very neat answer to the
question above.  In any case, this item was not in the wiki and remains
unfinished.
> ifconfig wa1 ax25 paclen 256
>
> You must have axip defined.
I've also drafted other changes to my configuration to permit the
tunnel. One complication at my site is that my ampr 44... TCP/IP network
connection is via rf to a neighbor ham, yet I have interest to make this
tunnel direct to internet here at my station.

There is more to do - I of course need Bills (and/or your) permission,
and I need to establish a new pinhole in my firewall.  My end is a
dynamic DSL service, so my domain name on the other end is critical to
long-term success.  I *may* need to set ax25 digipeat ON for the
interface.  I also *might* need to revise the resolver to give jnos
access to Internet domain names in addition to ampr.org.

As far as the wiki goes, the "ax25 xdigi..." is not present.  It also
would like some list of how many software options can be linked to
successfully from jnos.

> 73, Gene - K8EE

SO -- you can see why I put out the cry for help?  There remain quite
a few details to conquer.  I remain more interested in having the wiki
complete and accurate and less interested in having my station tunnel
to remote sites...  Both will be nice of course.

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k