[nos-bbs] AXIP networking

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Dec 8 15:11:07 EST 2007

Hi Bill - You have opened an interesting (to me also) subject...

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 17:06 +0000, Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Is there two or three folks here with active JNOS/AXIP setups that I
> could hook up with?
In anticipation of an answer to your "who" question, I reviewed the jnos
wiki material for the "how" answer.  I found AXIP 9 times on four pages,
and BPQ 25 times on five pages [and Xrouter not at all].  From these
references I came away with the opinion that the subject was not
developed to the point that I could configure my site for this interface
unless I engaged in quite a bit of cut-and-try.  Of course you need to
appreciate that I am a novice to the protocol.

>   I've been working towards network virtualization
> of my AX25 stations and software and now I'm thinking that the
> existing AX/(tcp|ip) technology may be a big part of this.
And I found this subject even more fascinating.  In wiki are 22
references to APRS, more than 50 to AMPR. and fifteen pages refering to
"virtual"-something.  But I came away believing none of these references
speak to the virtualization you have in mind.

> Also is anybody here working with the BPQ(32) or Xrouter systems and
> *NOS?  That's some more cool tools that seem to have great potential.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill - WA7NWP
>
> ________________________
SO now to this request: - is there anyone in this AXIP interest group
able to extend the wiki to cover more detail on the subject of jnos
configuration for AXIP (also with an eye to interfacing with non-jnos
remote sites)?

My expectation is that your success Bill will be subject for something
outside jnos documentation.  If this request comes to fruition then you
will have one reference available [to jnos] for your readers to use in
replicating and extending your work.

Thanks to everyone for whatever consideration you feel appropriate on
this subject...
Oh - for completeness: the wiki is found at http://jnoswiki.no-ip.org

73
de [George (Skip) VerDuin] K8RRA k