[nos-bbs] Hit enter after connection

(Skip) K8RRA k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Aug 25 11:55:32 EDT 2007

The "hit enter" is a well known issue but not real well documented
Marco.
[that's my opinion...]

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 16:04 +0200, Marco Di Martino (IW2OHX) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a jnos user.
> I ask if is it possible to avoid to hit "enter" (CR) after connection.
>
> On some ports I use only AX.25 protocol, so there isn't necessety to wait
> for TCP/IP connection.
>
> What parameters should I change ?
There are several ways to configure jnos -- you may well choose to
invent yet another.

One way to configure is to utilize all active functions on one SSID that
represents one physical site or node.  This configuration might be used
to establish many nodes using one emergency call sign to be activated in
the event of some event.  This method requires the "hit enter" to wake
up jnos "connect".

Another way to configure is with one node is to utilize one SSID for
each function offered.  This configuration is used often in networks of
hams where the network is established with a given pattern for use of
SSID number.  There are multiple patterns - but only one per network.
This method usually avoids the "hit enter" issue you have asked about.

There is not a standard configuration for jnos, but the "hit enter" is a
way for the software to identify what kind of service is being requested
by the remote site when there are multiple choices to resolve by the
local site.

I have specifically avoided detail in presenting the above. My
suggestion is to review how others have configured in your own
neighborhood and then decide on your own use of SSID numbers to be
compatible.  You and the other nodes you can contact may choose some use
of SSID to satisfy your own needs - one need being to avoid the "hit
enter" requirement.  There are several to choose from, I have not done
this but you might google on "SSID assignment" to find working
alternatives.

> thanks
> Marco

73