[nos-bbs] HTTP server restriction maybe

Steven Stimpson steven2 at gwi.net
Thu Apr 19 16:35:27 EDT 2007

Am I missing something here?

Ignorance=bliss...And at the moment, with Jnos under DOS, I am in bliss
and I do not hope it is due to ignorance.

With Jnos under Dos, I have an apple. Connecting to the Internet, it's fellow apple.
apples to apples. Linux is an orange. To run Jnos under linux, I connect an apple to an orange,
which I then use to connect to the NET, which is an apple. To me, Jnos under Linux isn't apples
and oranges, it's apple-orange-apple. and when all is said and done Jnos ends up
being nothing more than a shell to the Linux IP stack.

At this point, I am so frustrated with all the complications in running Jnos under
linux, which to my DOS mind accomplishes nothing except ax.25 connectivity,
which is already present in the Linux kernel, and a BBS. I say we just rip the
guts out of Jnos if it is going to be run under Linux. leave the command interpreter,
and the bbs functions.

Why should I IFCONFIG the hell out of Jnos, IFCONFIG the hell out of linux, and
in the end I end up with a null modem?

And with those points the ignorance possibly expresses itself. So I ask, before I hit
the books and get my Linux box up and going with Jnos, just what ARE
the advantages, if any, of running Jnos under Linux? Clearly there must be..
It seems the entire Jnos community has shifted over...

Best 73 list,
Steven-N1OHX