[nos-bbs] HTTP server restriction maybe

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Tue Apr 17 19:16:02 EDT 2007

["(Skip) K8RRA" <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote]:

[snip]

> Resolved thru DNS by virtue of ampr.org registration as shown in HOSTS
> table you keep on DRG?

Resolved thru DNS from anywhere.  ampr.org registrations at UCSD are
fully global and may be resolved through any domain nameserver.

[snip]

> > Also, there is nothing "magical" about the 44-net addresses.  ANY
> > ip address *can* be routed over the RF network.  We *could* be using
> > 192.168.x.y if we wanted.   Just so long as the ROUTING TABLES on
> > every node that needs to pass such traffic knows how to send them.
> > They are *just numbers*.
>
> Well sorta yes - but...
> When I read the "beauty" of 192.168 I interpret it to imply "freedom
> to choose subnet members with impunity".
>
> The private subnets manage their own IP assignments without concern for
> the rest of the world and insulate themselves with NAT.
>
> With the above approach to the private C routing, no one else had
> better duplicate my choice of node IP addresses.

Why?  The only thing is that is "magical" about the RFC1597 addresses
(network 10/8, 172.16/20, 192.168/16, etc.) is that they "belong" to
no one and there is no IP routing for them on the internet.  That is
what makes them "safe" to use on an "intranet".

> I'm concerned that use of *just numbers* approach creates an
> unmanageable circumstance...? (more later eye-to-eye)

The "just numbers" concept was presented by Jay to illustrate the fact
that there is nothing magical about them and that it is not what the
numbers are but rather the IP routing of them that completes your
circuit.

[snip]

> I'm excited with the prospect of using this configuration to
> solve the immediate problem.

Good!

> > Skip... use a 44-net IP address on your ASY radio interface and
> > add IP routing for it.  You'll be glad you did.  :)
>
> I'm delighted to leave NAT for later...   THANKS YOU GUYS!

See Jay, now he IS having fun!  :)

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |