[nos-bbs] Questions related to JNOS 1.11f

Barry Siegfried k2mf at k2mf.ampr.org
Fri Apr 6 14:41:51 EDT 2007

["Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)" <skoric at uns.ns.ac.yu> wrote]:

> Barry Siegfried wrote:
>
> > In the past, we have solved the problem of PBBSs and users having
> > the same callsign by choosing another callsign entirely for the
> > connecting PBBS, or the user, whichever is your preference, so that
> > a separate entry may be put into the FTPusers file.
>
> Ok Barry, I solved the problem of connecting the JNOS mailbox as a user
> with just simple telnet connection to it from my Windows Hyper terminal
> where I can enter the callsign with SSID.  For the FBB access
> (forwarding), I conclude that is the best, at the moment, to configure
> ftpusers privileges for FBB to have no SSID.  What about passwords?
> Now it is just nothing ("*").  Is it possible from somebody who come
> from a radio channel - to illegally use the same PBBS's callsign to
> enter JNOS mailbox and to make a mess in forwarding queue?

Sure it is possible for somebody to do that.  But who in his right mind
would actually waste his time doing that?

PBBS forwarding just isn't popular enough anymore for it to appeal to
hackers in that fashion.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |