[nos-bbs] Jnos 2.0e & Ubuntu version 6.06 Question

Larry Shields larry at isp.com
Sun Sep 17 08:07:36 EDT 2006

*Hello Skip,

*
K8RRA (Skip) wrote:

> I thought your question was worth dealing with Larry.
> So - I loaded the live demo that was packaged with LINUX FORMAT
> September (without looking at the details printed in the rag).
> I used an HP laptop and it went on very smoothly.

*Thanks, on replying to my question...*

> SHOCK -- no development system or C compiler...
> I was looking for eclipse with gcc or some alternative - nada.
> Perhaps live DVD demos consider C too geeky / they did include some
> hiigh level programming stuff.

*I didn't even give it any thought, that Ubuntu did not have any
compiling tools with this version hum, so now I am trying to install
these tools from what I can find out which ones that I am in need of...*

> I see you and Maiko are having conversation - he is much better than I
> at your immediate compile fix.
> However... If you are good at redirecting output (std & err) to a file
> for the entire compiler run I also would be willing to look thru it.

*Yes, Maiko has been trying to help me out as always, but he too can not
have all of the answers, thats why a group like this with many heads,
can help one another out...

As for redirecting an output into a text file too see what the info,
from trying to compile Jnos 2.0e, that I can do, but first let me
install a few files that are needed to see if it will compile, after
they have been downloaded...
*

> Be aware our interests are a bit different...
> Maiko certainly wants to see the same thing you want - jnos2e to
> compile successfully.
> I want to document the detail adjustments required for various
> environments - if my work was done I probably could answer you
> directly / but it's not.

*Yes I agree on seeing a compile being successful, but it definatley
will not compile unless all of the nessessary packages are installed for
it too do it...So with that I am now in the process of installing these
needed packages...Each distro that I have tried out work fine, but this
is the first time I have run into this problem...So hopefully I can get
it compiled, then anyone else that is trying Ubuntu, comes up with this
same problem, the answer will be you need all of the compiling packages
that are missing...*

> As I'm writing this I see Jaye answered your question.  The magic of
> this group.
> If you are successful with his solution, I have nothing to add...

*No problem, I hope Jayes suggestion is the answer, we shall see...

Thanks for the reply Skip...

Larry
*