[nos-bbs] Re: Tweaks to build simplifed setup JNOS

Barry Siegfried k2mf at nnj.k2mf.ampr.org
Thu Sep 14 16:16:50 EDT 2006

["VE3 BNF" <ve3bnf at gmail.com> wrote]:

> I tend to agree Barry, and thank you for your "help desk service" for
> me, what I would like to see is a better effort made in documenting the
> setup of Jnos and other flavours.  What I see now is the documentation
> seems to assume a prior knowledge and understanding of xnos and new
> users (like myself ) are lost in the setup... altho I am not 100%
> functional yet I have a much better understanding of the process and
> with more research will have a full understanding of what needs to be
> done.

The problem is there IS no single setup that applies to everyone.
Everyone has different operational and physical requirements as
well as functional goals and therefore must fine tune the program's
operation for the specific environment in which it is operating.

> I see alot of basic questions come through that, in my opinion,
> would be answered if the project documentation was "dumbed down"
> for new users, no offence to anyone intended, I am new to all this
> too.

No offence taken.  :)  However, user documentation is a real PROBLEM.
First of all, as the program changes over time so will (would) the
user documentation for it.  Keeping user documenation actually CAN
be equally or even more time consuming than writing code and program
release notes.

For those of us who are somewhat familiar with the program's internals,
writing user documentation is probably the most difficult thing to do
because we have to think like users and generally we don't.  Rather,
we think like programmers and we are just too darn busy programming
and making things work the way we want (or need) it to.

Realizing this, several years ago I asked somebody to step forward
from the user base of the NOS I use to offer to write some "real"
user documenation.  I then offered to edit it and correct the
mistakes.  At the time, somebody *did* step forward and actually
started the project.  I was delighted!  But after spending about a
month on only one section of the program, he realized how difficult
it would be to finish and how long it would take to document the
entire modern command set of NOS and he quit the project.  He just
didn't have the time necessary to do the job properly.

Needless to say, nobody else stepped forward to do this most
difficult of jobs.  So even today, I am still including a set of
command help which is very close to what the stock set of JNOS
command help is and it doesn't really reflect the individual
nuances and differences between the two programs.  That's life
and I've learned to live with it.

Some day, perhaps when I retire, I will have enough time to
write the complete user manual for the command set of the NOS
that I use.  Until then, I live with what I have.  Oh wait,
there were OTHER projects I wanted to do when I retire...

Oh well.  :(

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |