[nos-bbs] Re: Tweaks to build simplifed setup JNOS

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Sep 14 16:19:14 EDT 2006

Barry wrote :

> I feel that the more we *insulate* people from how to configure their
> programs properly, the more we are simply dumbing down the users ...

And I *do* agree with what you're saying, it's just that I'm trying to
find a middle ground.

> The burden then falls to us. Time and time again I have seen this
> happen and I know that Maiko and I both have gotten sucked into
> situations where we are providing "help-desk" type services ...

Tell me about it.

> This can get out of control VERY quickly.

Yes it can.

> We all have had trouble with rewrite at one time or another in
> our NOS experience. But how else can we learn ?

Again, you won't get any argument from me on this. But again, I'm
trying to find a middle ground here. The person who has no initiative
at all will eventually quit ! The person who has initiative, but is not
so technically sound at first, will continue on. Whether it's an installer
program or a sample autoexec.nos (which has to be hand edited), at least
it's a starting point. Those that really want to learn, will !

> I dunno, for me it has been a help to "organize" the directory
> and file structure of NOS into something coherent that made
> sense from both a functional standpoint ...

And that's great, it works for you guys, that's the most important
thing, and I won't slam it any.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM