[nos-bbs] SwsVpkt (XP Packet Driver for NOS) update - Installed

wa7nwp wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Sep 12 11:09:03 EDT 2006

>>> Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 18:17:29 +0200
>>>
>>> As a result of user feedback I have just uploaded an updated version of
>>> SwsVpkt to  www.softsystem.co.uk/SwsVpkt1005.zip.  The new version adds:
>>>
>>> 1. Command line option to list available adapters
>>>
>>> 2. Command line option to set the default adapter.
>>>
>>> 3. Support for dialup networking.
>>>
>>>    * NB this can be tricky so look in the readme.html

I finally installed SwsVpkt driver.   It appears to be almost working.

First I installed the interface driver system.

Then, before launching JNOS I ran  swsvpkt.bin

Loaded jnos.

   attach packet pkt 0x60 8 1500
   ifc pkt ip 192.168.27.78   (same as jnos)
   ifc pkt netmask 0xffffff00
   ifc pkt broadcast 0x192.168.27.255

First step is simply to log in to JNOS from telnet on the local XP-home
system.  A telnet to 192.168.27.78 launches the BBS on JNOS, but I never
see text and I have to kill the session.

I see lots of IP packets in the trace session and what looks to be too
many checksum errors.

It's always something.

Also, it appears all the network traffic the XP box sees is also being
seen by JNOS.  That's a lot.

In Linux we use Proxy Arp and route specific packets through the linux
box to NOS.  We can't do that now with XP?

Hmmm.  Maybe it is time to consider more Cygwin or DJGPP...

73
Bill - WA7NWP

PS.  Also sorry to see SwsVpkt has been put on the end of life list at
their site.