[nos-bbs] Tweaks to build simplifed setup JNOS

wa7nwp at jnos.org wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Sep 5 16:53:53 EDT 2006

I'm building an easy to install JNOS "virtual" packet machine for
XP aimed at the local Washington Digital EmCom group.

First step was to move all the config files into one place - %NOS%/etc.
Hunting  between the root and spool directories was never ideal and
I'm already liking  the setup better now.

I think it makes sense to add .txt or .nos extensions to the name to
make them easier to edit in the windows environments, which is the
primary target for this package.  It's not the Unix way but it
doesn't hurt anything there either.

Comments in general on the move of files and renaming?

Some config files will have to be customized by the end user.  I think
I'll release  those with something like ".ex" on the file name.  Users
will rename by removing  the ".ex" after editing.  Other files can
be used without editing.  Maybe naming them  as ".std" will work so
all the user has to do is rename them.  The initial install is easy,
it's the updates when we don't want to overwrite changes that gets
tricky.

I'll probably completely ifdef out the nos.cfg file to save space.

I hope to have the first release on a CD-Rom with all the Airmail
and Winlink2000 software for our regional APRS Summer Gathering this
weekend:  http://nwaprs.info/sg.htm

Bill - WA7NWP