[nos-bbs] Another issue...

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Sat Oct 7 06:25:27 EDT 2006

Greetings,

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, wa7nwp wrote:

> Several of the JNOS systems I support are "remote".  Yet the owner will
> be running and watching the main display screen.   I make changes to the
> config files and need to reboot.  Is there's a "polite" signal to do
> this?  HUP?   Kill -9 is a bit drastic.   Only other option is to log in
> to the bbs, become a remote admin and enter the exit command from there.
>
> Anything else?

   Look at the "remote" command. Allows you to kick, exit, or reset a
remote box.  You can also add or drop entries in the route table.  All
done through UDP packets over the network.

   Set the remote password with 'remote -s PASSWORD_STRING'

   Reset the xNOS application from another xNOS box by issuing the command
'remote -k PASSWORD_STRING 44.x.y.z reset'

   Must have remote server compiled in on the xNOS machine being
controlled.  And must have the remote client compiled in on the
controlling xNOS.

     --- Jay WB8TKL

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |