[nos-bbs] JNOS (any NOS) and Fedora Core 5 - the bottom line.

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue May 30 17:35:24 EDT 2006

AAARRG Tim,

You have just both saved me from experimentation and doused my hopes in
SUSE salvation.
SUSE 10 was my target distro to work out of my FC-5 dilemma.
Thank you very much for your report - I think...

I find it interesting that jnos compiled on slackware at an ealier time
can run OK.
--> I use Slackware pre-compiled jnos2.0d successfully with FC-5 &
glibc2.4 (several variants of "d").
It is only when:

      * jnos2.0e on Slackware 9.1 uses gcc3.2.3
      * also FC-2 with gcc3.2.5
      * You compile on SUSE-10
      * I compile jnos2.0e on FC-5 & gcc4.1

that the engineering change shows up for glibc2.4.
I suspect that glibc2.3.x systems work OK (I don't have one at this
moment).

This of course suggests that jnos"e" version introduced the longjmp into
ksubr.c while at the same time gcc designers were changing longjmp
specifications applied in (recent?) c version releases.
But I'm a newcomer and don't know the version history well enough to
speak to a whole story.
Maiko clearly has done homework with FC-5 and gotten the same problem
definition as I did.

I see some solution options for myself:

     1. Find another (old & cheap?) computer for the jnos2.0e testbed on
        a older Linux with gcc3.x and glib2.3.x
     2. Continue with jnos2.0d until 2.0x solves this issue (Maiko -
        please do not see this as pressure from the user community)
     3. Find a way to support both glib2.3 & glib2.4 on FC-5
        simultaneously

and I am looking toward #3 because it addresses other issues for the
long haul...
Today I have no solution in hand - my doc project slows down if I choose
#2...

Of interest?
see Linux Journal June 2006 etc/rant: "Bottom line - if you're already a
Fedora fan, you'll want Core 5.  If you use anything else, now is not
the time to switch."  Emphasis by me.

I want to echo your sentiments "always something" and "kudos Maiko" and
"isn't urgent".
Seems right to me.

de Skip k8rra k