[nos-bbs] BOF @ Hamvention "Packet Bash" anyone?

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Sun May 14 05:31:52 EDT 2006

Greetings all!
   There are still a reasonable number of Packet BBS's of all forms (MSYS,
FBB, JNOS) hanging on out there, as well as a number of xNOS "HamGates"
that operate all across the country and throughout the world.  While some
packet networks have certainly been disappearing, others are rapidly
growing.  Part of this growth is due to the recent resurgance in digital
EMCOMM (Emergency Communications).

   I was thinking that we should try to have a "Birds of a Feather" get
together after the TAPR "Packet Bash" Friday evening at the Dayton
Hamvention next week.  This would give us an opportunity to learn who else
is out there, compare notes on what networking methods are being used or
deployed, and to create relationships with one another so that we can
better 'interconnect' our disperse networks.

   So, anyone interested in a 'Packet Sysop/Net-Manager BOF' in Dayton?

      http://www.hamvention.org/additionalfriday06.htm
Dayton Hamvention. The event will be held at Dayton Airport Hotel (see
directions below).

 An event for the digitally-inclined ham, featuring:
  o Buffet dinner,
  o Keynote Address by Lyle Johnson on the 'History of Packet Radio'
  o "Birds of a Feather" gatherings,
  o Door prizes!

 And lots of fun will cost $28 per person.

 We hope that this will provide an opportunity for packet and digital
radio enthusiasts to have a great night out while at Hamvention.

 The schedule of events is as follows:
 1900 -- Doors Open (7PM)
 1930 -- Dinner (7:30PM)
 2015+/- Speaker, raffle of door prizes, and informal meetings after
         dinner (8:15PM +/-)

   For more information, send email to the TAPR office or stop by the TAPR
booth at Dayton for schedule and map.  The cost is $28.00 per person, tax
and tip included.

   Banquet tickets can be ordered from the TAPR office. Reservations made
before May 1st will have their tickets mailed to them. After May 1st,
tickets purchased will be available for pickup at the TAPR booth. There
will be only 100 tickets available for dinner, so order early.

 The price for the Packet BASH is:

  $ 28 US for members of TAPR
  $ 28 US for non-members

Directions for the Digital BASH:

   Dayton Airport Hotel, 3330 Terminal Drive, Vandalia, OH 45377, Tel:
   937-898-1000

 Directions from I-75:
    Take I-75 North to Exit 6B for I-70 West
    Take I-70 West for 1.9 miles to Exit 32 for Dayton International
    Airport Access Road. Airport Access Road turns into Terminal Drive.
    Dayton Airport Hotel is on the right just after crossing Boeing Drive.

   Hope to see many of you there!

      --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
          o Chair, ARRL Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)
            [www.MI-DRG.org]
          o Michigan AMPRnet IP Address Coordinator
            [www.mi-drg.org/ip-addr-form.html]

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |