[nos-bbs] Early note on RedHat FC-5

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Mon May 1 19:04:25 EDT 2006

OK - I am over my head and can not repair the FC-5 compile failure...
It occurs only when ifdefined linux and __GNU_LIBRARY__ > 1

I have found FC-5 did change to gcc 4.1.0-3.i386 and (buggy) glibc
2.4-4.i686.
A design change intentionally no longer defines JB_SP etc.
It sounds like setjump & jmpbuf are modified (may be depricated?) and
need to be replaced with __builtin_frame_address (etc..) for security?
I looked around gcc documentation for a while and did not land on the
answer.
This smells like a non-trivial change for linux platform memory
management some time?
See:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-April/msg00571.html

On the memory subject - jnos log reports that jnos has 3.05GB available
memory...
Can that be intended?
It could be right if jnos augments swap space by also using free space
on the root (maybe /tmp?).
Come on recursive qsort - I dare you to try to use up 3gb...! (of course
I won't wait all night...)
Thrashing comes to mind.

In any case, Maiko thanks for putting FC-5 on your fix-it list.
I'll be OK with pre-compiled executables for quite a while since it has
sufficient features for my needs as distributed.

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 09:22 -0500, George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is my recent experience that seems worth sharing at an early
> stage...
> The jnos executeable from FC-4 seems normal in operation over the past
> 24hrs.
> The jnos compile "make" fails in ksubr.c over "JB_SP", "JB_BP",
> "JB_PC",  undeclared.
>
> Sorry - no solution at this moment.
> I might suggest to avoid FC-5 development until the differences become
> clear?
> Something in "#define ... JB_SP ..." has changed in FC-5 over FC-4.
> I will follow up...
>
> 73
> de Skip k8rra k

de Skip k8rra k