[nos-bbs] anyone using (or wanting to use) JNOS APRS Digipeating ?

Andre v Schayk andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue Mar 21 14:25:16 EST 2006

maiko at pcs.mb.ca schreef:

>Andre wrote :
>

>>Can it still be used with the "old" n-n standard because most of europe
>>has not and most likely will not switch over to newn-n.
>>

>Problem is I don't know what the "old" n-n standard is :-( If you
>could point me to a document, that would be great for starters. Then
>I can make sure things are *backwards* compatible if I can word it
>that way.
>
>The aprs digi stuff was put in as a last resort thing, so that people
>did not have to setup a separate APRS DIGI site if they were the only
>one in town doing it, and wanted to run everything in JNOS. I could
>probably count the number of people wanting to do that on 1 hand hi
>hi hi ... In reality, one should probably not use the JNOS aprs digi
>and instead have a dedicate APRS digi system in place for their
>community. Remember, the code is experimental, I've got little
>to none feedback on it from anyone, besides Janusz (and a couple
>of others) who have faithfully stuck with it for some time now.

In short there are 3 default substituting aliases, relay, wide and
trace, wide and trace are for high digis, relay is for home digis (a
stuping stone for mobiles)
Next there is widen-n where n is between 1 and 7, it is not substituted
but the seccond n is counted down to 0 and the h bit is set when 0 is
reached.
Third is tracen-n again n is between 1 and 7, every time n is counted
down the digi callsign is inserted before tracen-n with h bit set and
once 0 is reached the h bit on tracen-0 is set.

>>there is no reason to do so for several reasons.
>>

>Without me having to parse through the endless debate on the mailing
>lists, can you sum those reasons up for us ? Or just direct me to a link
>or document online somewhere. That would be appreciated.

replacing relay with wide1-1 and stop using wide and trace is needed for
getting around a bug in the kpc-3 where dupe checking on aliases wasn´t
handled right.
Europe doesn´t use kpc-3 digis but software digis like ui-view digi_ned etc.
limiting to 2 or 3 hops makes sence in highly populated areas with digis
on mountains but most of europe is flat and population is spread out
evenly and unlike usa aprs is used long distance with the emphesis on
the rf network rather then getting into findu.com.

73 de Andre PE1RDW