[nos-bbs] anyone using (or wanting to use) JNOS APRS Digipeating ?

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Mar 21 14:54:08 EST 2006

Andre wrote :

> Can it still be used with the "old" n-n standard because most of europe
> has not and most likely will not switch over to newn-n.

Problem is I don't know what the "old" n-n standard is :-( If you
could point me to a document, that would be great for starters. Then
I can make sure things are *backwards* compatible if I can word it
that way.

The aprs digi stuff was put in as a last resort thing, so that people
did not have to setup a separate APRS DIGI site if they were the only
one in town doing it, and wanted to run everything in JNOS. I could
probably count the number of people wanting to do that on 1 hand hi
hi hi ... In reality, one should probably not use the JNOS aprs digi
and instead have a dedicate APRS digi system in place for their
community. Remember, the code is experimental, I've got little
to none feedback on it from anyone, besides Janusz (and a couple
of others) who have faithfully stuck with it for some time now.

> there is no reason to do so for several reasons.

Without me having to parse through the endless debate on the mailing
lists, can you sum those reasons up for us ? Or just direct me to a link
or document online somewhere. That would be appreciated.

73 Maiko