[nos-bbs] This BBS Download and Upload command stuff ...

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Jun 29 23:39:52 EDT 2006

You are right on target Bill - not a purely NOS issue.

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 18:19 -0500, Bill Vodall wrote:

> > > I guess I'll go on record with the BBS "Download" and "Upload" command
>

> A related issue and not purely NOS but I'll throw it out here for
> folks to consider and any possible comments...   I discussed it
> a bit on other lists last fall and haven't yet gotten back to it.
>
> A  "ax25cp" command to copy files between AX25 stations would be very
> useful.  The best part is that it would open up the potential of highly
> efficient UUCP style Email on amateur systems and packet networks.

This is very much like my original "step 2" and "step 3" proposals to
what I submitted as a "bug".
In talking it thru later, my opinion changed slightly away from a nos
solution into a generic BBS solution.

If many of the other bbs software supported file transfer in some form -
then nos needs to get on board with them.
The file transfer is truly useful as you point out.
In the AX.25-BBS world that remains more or less "healthy", many of the
(local to me) users are TNC-only equipped and without a transfer
capability except to the screen as a "listing" or to/from a spool as Jay
points out.
However BBS-to-BBS file transfer brings the material local and more
easily shared in the neighborhood.
The issue then becomes NOS is a small proportion of all BBS servers and
inter-operability is important.

How to pull this off?
Networking?
BBS software developers would need to be on the same page - Is that a
manageable issue?

I certainly support your idea as a reasonable direction for development
of AX.25.
It remains to be seen that there is enough impetus to do the work -
given the alternative solutions.

> It would also enable basic NOS-to-NOS file exchange without the overhead
> of TCP/IP.
>
> If you do have a TCP path, the FTP functionality in NOS can be
> configured for automatic timed file transfers with the built in
> Cron and .net (?) configuration file.  It's obscure but it
> really works well once it's set up.
>
> 73
> Bill - WA7NWP

de Skip k8rra k