[nos-bbs] BBS Ddownload and Upload command bug

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Jun 28 09:05:40 EDT 2006

Well Jay & Barry (et al),
It did occur to me that when using ftp tools as a bbs user the ftp file
could get no closer than my local jnos node thus the "disadvantage" I
speak of is somewhat muted.  But wait...

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 00:53 -0400, Jay Nugent wrote:

> Greetings Skip,
>

>SNIP<

>    I guess I really don't see any need for the end user to have that
> option.

With our situation within DRG as a perspective your perception of need
is OK mostly because along with DRG membership comes a map of sorts so
we all know each other and can easily frame the ftp steps to do get/put.
If it were up-to-date, ampr.org has something similar on the larger
scale.

Consider that the "Jheard" returns information more useful than "IHeard"
in that a ham call is more recognizable than an IP number.  I will join
you in agreeing that ftp-like tools do not belong on the BBS directly
when the IP domain looks as meaningful as the ham call domain.  I'm
stuck trying to tie them together.

Internet has a DNS tool to translate names into IP.  If jnos would bring
me ANS (Amateur Name Service) so I could transfer a file from my friend
Dave WA8RSA to home K8RRA, or perhaps deposit my position from K8RRA/MM
to ship track MMSM like an APRS transaction, then the IP functionality
of jnos has a touch-and-feel (utility?) of the AX.25 functionality of
jnos.  Yes Barry, the routing functionality of jnos seems key to this.

I accept the notion that I personally just don't get it because of the
newness of digital ham modes in my life.  I am attacking the learning
curve.  So my real need is to simplify the learning curve?  BBS is
crawling while jnos-IP is walking?  Thus the real focus needs to be in
simplifying the application of jnos in discovering and routing IP
traffic over the RF spectrum within a ham domain.  If you can point me
to where all this is presented in a unified manner I'd relish the
opportunity to join you.

Meanwhile - I still like the idea of "surfing" RF with jnos-BBS services
on a ham-call to ham-call basis, and would like ftp-like file transfer
as part of the tool kit at the BBS level.  I invite you think of
depositing a file on /jnos/public as similar to yelling "CQ" on
20-meters.  The file content has the potential to open your life to a
new friend with similar interests...  Of course the other option is to
sweat thru the process of learning the connection between my ham friends
and their IP equivalent, then publish the simple solution myself...

In the USA ARRL just sponsored "Field Day" and the RF spectrum bristled
with "CQ FD".  As far as I can tell, jnos was not taken out to the field
to establish a CONV group, and no one ftp'd a snapshot of their new
grand child.  I consider that a missed opportunity...  There was a
flurry of winlink activity.  This may seem off-topic / but to me it is
related by tool-kit size and simplicity.  And I've gone full circle to
"U" and "D" vs "put" and "get".

>SNIP<

73
de Skip k8rra k