[nos-bbs] Missing something - 44 net .0.0.1

wa7nwp at jnos.org wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Jul 28 19:35:51 EDT 2006

> [wa7nwp at jnos.org wrote]:
>
>> In 10 minutes I can set up a new no-ip.com account and get a dynamic
>> domain name routed to an Internet gateway (*NOS, linux, etc).  In 5
>> minutes I can add an entry on one of my existing domains.  In an ATU
>
> What is an ATU?

An Amateur Time Unit..  You know - the 10 minutes that this little project
is going to take that ends up being 3 (or more) hours...

I'm finally finding some uATU's so I can rejoin the discussions.

First, I want to make sure and say to folks like Skip that are new here
and working through the adventure of getting on line on the 44 net --
don't let my whinings distract or get down on things.  My frustrations
come not from what the 44.ampr.org system is, and that is a great project,
but that it didn't keep growing and advancing.   It's still probably one
of the best TCP/IP and RF labratories in the world.

My first 44.32.x.x packets were in 1990 or so.  There is very little I
haven't done - and very few battles I haven't fought.  So when I see
amateur packet activity waning and different "better" TCP/IP technologies
that aren't being used -- I believe it's certainly worthy of discussion.

In fact, bringing this back to *NOS, I'll suggest that some fairly recent
developments, to be discussed in the near future, actually make *NOS more
relevent today then it was 5 or so years ago.  That, to me, is fun and
exciting.

Onward!

73
Bill - WA7NWP