[nos-bbs] Missing something - 44 net

Barry Siegfried k2mf at nnj.k2mf.ampr.org
Mon Jul 24 15:06:14 EDT 2006

["George (Skip) VerDuin" <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote]:

> Would you two guys permit me the observation that there may be about
> as many solution varieties as people to implement them?

You betcha!

> I've seen some recent documentation works that present application
> examples in other conditions.
>
> I'm wondering (out loud) if showing the 10-minute no-ip signup /
> 5-minute config / 1-ATU automation / 1-min 44... re-routing / etc.
> would be great value to establish at least some of the approaches
> in a form that they can be mimicked by others instead of being re-
> invented?  I'd welcome being part of the "labor force" to work that
> into presentable form...

Great!

> This brings the question to mind -
>
> --> if you have a favorite NAT appliance, pass on it's mfg and model

Personally, I use the LinkSys WRT54G, but all consumer IP/NAT
routers pretty much work the same.

> so I might look it up and understand it's integration with jnos?

I don't think you're going to find anything about jnos in the manual
for this consumer IP/NAT router.

> --> and then also, if the jnos platform is unix/linux would you then
> favor a software integrated solution over the above hardware?
>
> I have not thought this through fully yet (I admit)...

There was a time when using a NOS or Unix/Linux machine to implement
a "software solution" to implement NAT was the only way you could get
a single IP address user account to service more than a single client
machine behind it but today, the consumer IP/NAT routing appliance is
so commonly available that it is somewhat of a no-brainer whether or
not to use one.

The other thing that using an IP/NAT router in this configuration
does for you (particularly for those who are using cable internet
access) is that it eliminates the requirement that your NOS or
Unix/Linux machine, 1) have two interfaces in it in order to
accommodate a LAN "behind" your internet connection, and, 2) hear
all of those incessant ARP broadcasts on your "local" cable segment.
The amount of this traffic IS signficant (depending on the size of
your segment, of course) and using an IP/NAT router will completely
free your NOS or Unix/Linux machine from the resources it would have
to devote to hear all of these ARP broadcasts.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |