[nos-bbs] Missing something more basic?

sv1uy sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
Sat Jul 22 16:55:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:19:23 -0700, Glenn Thomas wrote

> Clearly a routing solution.  I suspect it becomes unmanageable to administer
 > such a beast internationally.
> As an example:
> I'm now assigned 44.102.132.20 for say 6 months - but I'm not installed into
> DNS yet so you will not find k8rra.ampr.org.
> Whereas this situation is manageable today, consider applying it under
> emergency conditions when you might NEED to find k8rra....
> I believe private LANs and NAT offers a more manageable approach - not perhaps
> ideal

Hi Glenn,

Of course you are in the DNS alright. Here is what I get when I try to telnet
you from my LINUX box:

sv1uy at home-0:~$ telnet k8rra.ampr.org
Trying 44.102.132.20

I get no reply so the problem is not DNS, it is your local AMPRnet Gateway
that has no proper AMPRnet connectivity.

I wish more people involved in JNOS and generally in AMPRnet applications,
would use 44.x.x.x addresses. Don't forget they are real addresses. I don't
think we should drop network 44. It is ours and we could all have good
connectivity. As for emergency don't forget that Ham radio is not about
emergency. It is a hobby and although emergency comms can be done to help in a
disaster, they are not the primary purpose of ham radio. We have other tools
for emergency, although if AMPRnet is set properly beforehand, there is no
problem with emergency comms. This happened to me when Athens was hit by
earthquake back in 1998 and nothing was working for a day except for our
AMPRnet GATEWAY in Athens and HF/VHF/UHF radio. No telephones and no mobile
phones were working. AMPRnet was OK though since it had a leased line.

---
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
e-mail: sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
AX25 PBBS: SV1UY at SV1UY.ATH.GRC.EU