[nos-bbs] Missing something more basic?

Barry Siegfried k2mf at nnj.k2mf.ampr.org
Sat Jul 22 12:14:35 EDT 2006

["George (Skip) VerDuin" <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote]:

> The issue is:  my jnos does not do NAT (Network Address Translation).

NAT *can* be incorporated into JNOS.  NAT for xNOS was actually
developed a long time ago.  It is simply a matter of somebody
wanting to take the time to port it into JNOS.

> I've stumbled into a wide interest issue:
>
> All you guys discussing IP over AX.25 - have you included ARP as
> a part of overhead in your considerations?

ARP is a necessary part of any "broadcast" implementation of the
link layer.  It is the only way to translate MAC (physical or
callsign) "addresses" into IP addresses.

> All you guys discussing routing between jnos nodes mounted on
> 192.168.x.y private IP LANS have you considered NAT over RF?

All you guys discussing routing between jnos nodes mounted on
private LANS have you considered configuring the LAN as part of
the amprnet?  This can be done to the extent that individual
machines on your LAN can be made as "public" or "private" as you
want them to be by some simple IP routing manipulation in them
and in the IP/NAT router and also with the proper configuration
of an IPIP (or IPUDP) encapper as a "public" member of your LAN.

> Other solutions than NAT?  Yes potentially.  ENCAP comes to mind,
> but I have not got a working example yet.  NAT as a solution?

In my own experience what seems to work best is a delicate combination
of NAT (in a commercially available IP/NAT router) AND IPIP (or IPUDP)
encapsulation to handle the "public" reachability of 44-net.

[snip]

> Now I don't know if there is a solution to my desire.
>
> I know that private LAN configurations in IPv4 is real convenient and
> global registration of IPs is not a solution I care to participate in.

I don't quite understand what you are driving at here but then again,
I am a very confused individual so this is not surprising.  :)

> If anyone sees an error in my analysis, I want to hear it.
>
> As far as this thread on this reflector goes, my original premise that
> jnos acts as a bridge is wrong and I'm OK with that understanding.

If utilized for its IP routing and switching capabilities, JNOS is
actually a very powerful "bridge".  I guess what I am not understanding
is what you are trying to accomplish for which you can't find the
solution.

> As far as a solution to my desire? - I'm beginning to classify it as
> "pie in the sky"...

There is absolutely NOTHING you cannot do without the right software
and some proper planning and configuration.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |