[nos-bbs] ping bug

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sat Jul 1 12:56:21 EDT 2006

This may only be in my present version jnos2.0d, I do not know the scope
of this one:

the jnos command "ping" acts differently at BBS and at system consols.
I believe BBS works correctly, but system console works incorrectly for
the condition of "no response".

Example (for validation please construct your own depending on your own
neighborhood):

1) at BBS "ping 44.102.132.1" responds:
Resolving (44.102.132.1)... pinging (44.102.132.1)...
Timeout - no response

2) At system "ping 44.102.132.1" responds:
Resolving (44.102.132.1)...

ANALYSIS: The system does issue (transmit) the VHF ping request at both
BBS and system.
BUT the system "hangs" until a "cr" is entered.

If you concur, the bug is defined as "incomplete response of jnos and
failure of the timeout feature" ONLY on the system console.

73
de Skip k8rra k