[nos-bbs] "Munge" script for ENCAP.TXT

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Feb 10 04:01:49 EST 2006

Greetings all!

   I have operated, and still operate, a number of JNOS boxes around the
State of Michigan configured as "HamGates".  That is, they use the
ENCAP.TXT routing table to IPIP encapsulate traffic destined for other
AMPRnet subnets on HamGates around the world.

   In each case the HamGates I've been involved with have run on DOS.
Quick to install and easy to maintain.  However, we now have a HamGate
that wishes to run JNOS on Linux and the "owner" wants me to do all the
research and configure it for him :-(   But getting it configured to
operate as a "HamGate" and use the ENCAP.TXT routing table has been
elusive.  No doubt, something *simple* is being overlooked.

   I've recently become aware that JNOS does *not* do the IPIP
encapsulation process in this JNOS-atop-Linux configuration, but instead,
Linux does the encapsulation!  And it was mentioned that there is a
"Munge" script that is used to translate the 'route addprivate' commands
into something that Linux can understand.  Maybe that is all I am missing
is this "Munge" script.  Dunno...

   I'm just about ready to cut this poor guy loose and draw a line in the
sand that he either run his HamGate on DOS and get his node online, or we
write off that portion of Michigan as a Packet wasteland.  I can't waste
any more time trying to support him :-(

   Certainly there are dozens of folks on this list that have installed
JNOS atop Linux and are part of the HamGate/AMPRnet worldwide network
using the ENCAP.TXT routing table.  Someone care to point me to a
Step-by-Step document, please?  Google searches have resulted in lots of
unrelated reading...

      --- Jay WB8TKL

"Getting rid of terrorism is like getting rid of dandruff.  It cannot
 be done completely no matter how hard you try." -- Gore Vidal
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |
  3:01am  up 27 days,  3:38,  6 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.23, 0.17