[nos-bbs] Status of JNOS and FC5 systems

Maiko Langelaar (ve4klm) maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Wed Aug 23 11:42:56 EDT 2006

Greetings all,

It *seems* that I have successfully got JNOS to run on a FC5
system (very minimum load and configuration of course), but it
does seem to be doing what it's supposed to do so far.

I've replaced the use of the JMPBUF mechanism (for the FC5 kernel
and libs only), with the CONTEXT functions (getcontext, makecontext,
setcontext, and swapcontext). So far so good, but very experimental.

The funny thing is that the JNOS linux code has had some CONTEXT
code present for quite some time, specific to SUN platforms. I've
had to add a few extra inits to the SUN code to get it working.

It should be noted : the literature out there says the JMPBUF and
CONTEXT mechanisms are quite archaic, and technically the final
solution should be to replace it all with POSIX threads.

I'm not ready to go that route at this point in time. The changes
to use the CONTEXT code has been very minimal (so far), so I can
continue to use the one and only code base for all platforms.

PS: Skip, John, and the others - I got your emails, I'll get
     to them eventually, honestly.

Regards,

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM