[nos-bbs] PTC firmware, more Info>>>

Steven Stimpson steven2 at gwi.net
Fri Aug 11 08:08:06 EDT 2006

The KISS mode with the new PTC firmware works
great with NOS. Pactor is not available via
kiss because of timing difficulties. They also added
SMACK and Xnet support. so with linux the PTC's
will now work with Xnet, Flexnet, and the default
Linux AX.25 stack.

 The 300 baud modem is great, but for some
reason I find my cheap MFJ 1270 outperforms
it on VHF. Although the local APRS freq is all I can
test VHF with so far. Audio levels may need to
be tweaked.

Skip:

 I think you really should complain about
those people running a maxframe of four. It
is going to be difficult for ANY tnc to get a word in
edgewise with THAT much data being spewed all at once.

 In my experience, the longer a TNC has to wait for the
channel to clear, the more agressive it will get when it finally
comes to key-down.

 You may not even be stepping on them, when your RX comes back
up and you hear the tail-end of a packet it could have been
THEM stepping on you.

GL

and Best 73,

Steven N1OHX