[nos-bbs] Looking for confirmation of performance

Barry Siegfried k2mf at nnj.k2mf.ampr.org
Tue Aug 8 15:30:48 EDT 2006

["George (Skip) VerDuin" <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote]:

> My node is acting in an non-clearing way.
>
> I note upon checking "ax25 status" that terminated remote BBS sessions
> hang on to the local com link for a while after the local BBS is done
> with a connection.
>
> Here is the story:
>
> Using "Connect vhf STA" to link to a remote jnos node works, and "bye"
> does two things (MIN):
>
>   1) The BBS session returns to the local (or previous link in the
> chain) node
>
>   2) The sysop console "ax25 status" shows the connection has been
> cleared from the active table.
>
> I take this as the normal.

It is normal *if* you are passing the data for your application layer
7 (the JNOS mailbox) directly over the AX.25 link layer 2 connection.
When you close down the sockets on each end (i.e. the user disconnects
from the application) the AX.25 link layer 2 connection will be torn
down as well.  The AX.25 link layer 2 connection is handing data
directly to the application sockets for this user's "connection" to
the application.

> Using "connect NET/ROM ALIAS" to link to the same station as above
> works, however "bye" does not clear the ax25 active connection table.

Right.  It doesn't need to.

> Using "connect NET/ROM ALIAS" to link to a non-reachable node continues
> to try until "CTRL-T" terminates the attempt but it also does not clear
> the ax25 active connection table.

Right.  It doesn't need to.

> In both cases above, the transmitter continues to issue packets (not
> detail traced for this email) until maybe a timer or counter expires.

Maybe the check (t3) timer or the retry (t1) timer/counter.

> I'm at jnos2.0d level and this is a request to validate my findings
> on 2.0d or 2.0e rev installations.
>
> If my node is "odd man out" then perhaps someone knows what my
> configuration error might be?

I doubt you have a config error.  When you are using Net/Rom you
are now passing a Net/Rom network layer 3 and transport layer 4
over your AX.25 link layer 2 connection and you are now passing
the data for your application layer 7 (the JNOS mailbox) over
the Net/Rom transport layer 4 connection.  When you close down
the sockets on each end (i.e. the user disconnects from the
application) the Net/Rom transport layer 4 connection will be
torn down as well.  In *this* case the Net/Rom transport link
layer 4 connection is handing data directly to the application
sockets for this user's "connection" to the application and the
AX.25 link layer 2 connection may stay behind in order to handle
multiple Net/Rom transport layer 4 connections.

The same would also be true if you were using the TCP(/IP) protocol
as a user's connection to your application(s) directly under an AX.25
link layer 2 connection.  The same AX.25 link layer 2 connection may
handle multiple transport connections across it.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |