[nos-bbs] Jnos & windows

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Apr 28 11:41:38 EDT 2006

Kewl Barry,

Another good example of "more going on than gets much publicity"...
I've "parroted" what I heard from Maiko relative to the jnos branch of
xnos only, and certainly he is the definitive source.
I expect jnos may be loadable to some Win(?) platform rather directly if
he continues on his present course (up to him)...

My personal interest is only to document how it is done.
To that end, I'd love to find an example of a successful (j-only)nos on
win using this special driver and patch(s)?

Thanks for the details

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 09:55 -0400, Barry Siegfried wrote:

> ["George (Skip) VerDuin" <k8rra at ameritech.net> wrote]:
>
> > Just an answer,
> >
> > Today - no.
> >
> > Some day soon - perhaps (it's being worked on without a due date)...
> >
> > On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 06:48 -0400, Jean Letourneau (VE2PKT) wrote:
> >
> > > Just a question,
> > >
> > > Other the Jnos for DOS, is there a way to run Jnos on WinXP or 2K?
>
> That isn't entirely true, George.
>
> The following is a link to download the SwsvPkt driver for Windows
> (XP/2000/NT4 only):
>
> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/page7.html
>
> This is a packet driver which will network xNOS in an NTVDM with the
> Windows system it runs on.
>
> There are two caveats, however:
>
> 1) Since the SwsvPkt packet driver simply shares the ethernet adapter
> that Windows is using (including its hardware MAC address) a few mods
> need to be made to xNOS in order to make it "play nicely" with the
> Windows TCP/IP stack.  These mods are necessary in the Ethernet sendraw()
> and recv() subfunctions (both in PKTDRVR.C) and the ARP recv() subfunction
> (in ARP.C).  Maiko can give the definitive answer as to whether or not
> he has made the necessary mods to JNOS for this.
>
> 2) So that the SwsvPkt NTVDM doesn't hog the CPU the "Idle Sensitivity"
> setting of the .PIF shortcut which launches the SwsvPkt NTVDM and runs
> the batch file that loads the SwsvPkt packet driver needs to be modified.
> This can be found by right clicking on the .PIF shortcut --> Properties
> --> Misc tab.  Normally, the "Idle Sensitivity" default setting is at
> half scale between minimum and maximum.  Change this setting to MAXIMUM
> (the HIGHEST setting).
>
> I am personally using the SwsvPkt driver on Windows XP/NT4 machines in
> my home and on my desktop at work.  Although I am not using JNOS I am
> using another variety and it works very well for my purposes.
>
> 73, de Barry, K2MF >>
>           <|>      Barry Siegfried
> | Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
> | HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |