[nos-bbs] Re: JNOS closer to Winlink than many realize + hf.ampr.org anyone ?

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Apr 6 11:39:21 EDT 2006

Tim wrote :

> carefully think through what our goals should be. Just because
> something *can* be done doesn't mean it *should* be done.

I agree. I'm partly to blame maybe. I was reluctant intially to
even want to have JNOS talk with WL2K. One of my first posts was
a question, "Is there any point forwarding to a WL2K system" ?,
to which the answer was *kinda* NO. If one carefully looks at
the WL2K system, if you plan on using JNOS to talk to it, keep
in mind that the JNOS will be CLIENT (at the same operational
level as an AIRMAIL client). Going a bit further, the next
question was this : How many people are going to use JNOS
on their BOAT, or on a MOUNTAIN TOP, as a client ?

To keep things from growing TOO quickly, perhaps I should
just say that at this stage, JNOS should only be considered
as a CLIENT that can pick messages off winlink using either
telpac forwarding or the far from perfect HF pactor iface.

We could setup our own *version of Winlink* but based on
JNOS for the ground stations, and perhaps a non JNOS software
for the central server(s). BUT, then one may ask. What's the
point ? BUT, that's just me thinking out loud again.

I'll leave it at that for now, but I don't want to stop
the rest of you from dreaming and scheming of course :-)

Maiko